The goal of someone in this position is to plan or coordinate certain activities that are designed to create or uphold a suitable public image or create more awareness regarding an issue or concern with the organization and client. If the individual is working with fundraising, then they would be responsible for planning or directing activities to maintain or gain funds for the projects that are being used for the organizations. These responsibilities can vary depending on the position itself and the needs of the clients that the individual is working with.
- - Establish and maintain working relationships with government officials, clients, and media representatives. Use these relationships to create new opportunities.
- Write press relates and prepare information for media kits
- - Identify main client groups and audiences. Create the best way to communicate information with them for publicity.
- - Assign and supervise the activities of public relations staff
- - Manage communications budgets
- - Direct activities of establishments and departments that develop and use communication strategies
- - Create speeches for executives and arrange interviews and other forms of contact for them
- - Analyze advertising and promotion programs for compatibility with public relations options
The individual should have knowledge of the content and structure of the English language, such as the spelling and meaning of words, rules of composition, and general grammar. They should have knowledge of the principles and key elements of providing customer support and personal services. This would include assessment of customer needs, being able to meet quality standards for services, and being able to provide an evaluation of customer satisfaction. Knowledge of media production and communication is vital. They would include alternative ways to be able to inform and communicate via the use of oral, written, and visual media. Knowledge of management and business principles is useful. These principles should be involved in resource allocation, strategic planning, human resources modeling, production methods, leadership technique, and the coordination of resources.
Those interested in working within this role should have a variety of abilities. These can include, but are not limited to inductive reasoning, fluency of ideas, deductive reasoning, speech recognition, problem sensitivity, written comprehension, oral comprehension, written expression, speech clarity, and oral expression. Individuals should have a vast array of skills as well. Typical skills necessary include social perceptiveness, writing, coordination, critical thinking, judgment and decision making, complex problem solving, persuasion, reading comprehension, active listening and fluent speaking.
There are an array of responsibilities associated with this position. The individual will have to be able to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with those in their workplace. They will need to be able to maintain them over time. Providing information to supervisors and coworkers on a regular basis via email, written format, telephone, or in person is generally required. The individual should be able to think creatively in the development of different aspects of the role. They should be able to research information and keep track of new information as it is discovered or provided.