Someone in this position would be responsible for coordinating the daily operations of distance learning programs and arranging the courses to help meet the educational needs of the students associated with the institution or facility. They will need to have creativity and an ability to actively solve problems when dealing with this position because distance learning programs often have unforeseen obstacles and issues as time progresses.
- - Provide or develop technical resources such as videoconferencing systems, networking, course management, and webcasting.
- - Prepare and distribute schedules of distance learning resources
- - Create and maintain various web sites and databases that are able to support distance learning options
- - Develop distance learning program goals
- - Support and direct the technical operation of distance learning equipment or classrooms
- - Evaluate the use of distance learning programs in increasing education and knowledge
- - Communicate with students and faculty
- - Provide information about changes in distance learning courses or materials
- - Assess the distance learning needs and educational needs of each student
- - Provide technical and logistic support for users of distance learning options
- - Maintain contact with students and users of distance learning programs
The individual should have knowledge of the content and structure of the English language, such as the spelling and meaning of words, rules of composition, and general grammar. They should have knowledge of the principles and key elements of providing customer support and personal services. This would include assessment of customer needs, being able to meet quality standards for services, and being able to provide an evaluation of customer satisfaction. Knowledge of media production and communication is vital. They would include alternative ways to be able to inform and communicate via the use of oral, written, and visual media. Knowledge of management and business principles is useful. These principles should be involved in resource allocation, strategic planning, human resources modeling, production methods, leadership technique, and the coordination of resources.
Those interested in working within this role should have a variety of abilities. These can include, but are not limited to inductive reasoning, fluency of ideas, deductive reasoning, speech recognition, problem sensitivity, written comprehension, oral comprehension, written expression, speech clarity, and oral expression. Individuals should have a vast array of skills as well. Typical skills necessary include social perceptiveness, writing, coordination, critical thinking, judgment and decision making, complex problem solving, persuasion, reading comprehension, active listening and fluent speaking.
There are an array of responsibilities associated with this position. The individual will have to be able to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with those in their workplace. They will need to be able to maintain them over time. Providing information to supervisors and coworkers on a regular basis via email, written format, telephone, or in person is generally required. The individual should be able to think creatively in the development of different aspects of the role. They should be able to research information and keep track of new information as it is discovered or provided.